SkyTech of New Mexico is is IAC2 certified. We are experienced and qualified to administer radon testing, indoor air quality testing and environmental testing. Contact us today if you have questions or to schedule a consultation or testing.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. You can’t see or smell radon. Testing is the only way to know your level of exposure. Radon can have a big impact on indoor air quality. Radon gas in homes is a health risk. Santa Fe County, like Bernalillo and many others, shows up on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s radon maps as a Zone 1 county. That means homes can have a predicted indoor radon screening level above 4 picocuries per liter, the EPA’s recommended safe limit.
Radon is an odorless, colorless, naturally occurring radioactive gas resulting from the radioactive decay of uranium, which exists in most soils. Radon enters homes and buildings from the soil under the slab, from the crawlspace, basement, etc. Radon can also be found in some water supplies entering the home or building. Because radon is radioactive, it’s breakdown to other elements releases alpha, beta, and gamma radiations which can be physically damaging. When radon, and especially these decay elements, are inhaled, the lungs can be seriously damaged by this radiation. Studies have determined that as a result of this damage, radon is the overall second leading cause of lung cancer. Radon is also believed to be the number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers.
Individuals are exposed to elevated radon primarily in indoor environments, homes, offices, schools, etc. Any home or building, old or new, can have a radon problem. The only way to determine if a home or building has elevated indoor radon is to test.
Home Buyers and Sellers can find a comprehensive resource guide put out by the EPA here.